Age ratings for 12A & 12:
• Theme – Mature themes are acceptable, but their treatment must be suitable for young teenagers.
• Language – The use of strong language (eg ‘f***’) must be infrequent. Racist language used as abuse is also a concern.
• Nudity – Nudity is allowed, but it must be brief and discreet if there is any suggestion of sex.
• Sex – Sex can be suggested. Sex references may reflect what 12 year olds are likely to have heard about from school, but there should be nothing unsuitable for young teenagers. Frequent rude sex references may not be allowed.
• Violence – Violence must not dwell on injuries or blood. Sexual violence may only be implied or briefly and discreetly indicated.
• Imitable techniques – Dangerous techniques (eg combat, hanging, suicide and self-harming) should not dwell on things which can be copied or appear pain or harm free. Easily accessible weapons should not be shown as glamorous.
• Horror – There can be some threat and menace, including scary scenes which are intense or last a while. Only occasional gory moments can be shown.
• Drugs – Any misuse of drugs must be infrequent and should not be shown as glamorous, or attractive, or teach viewers how to take drugs.
• Discrimination – The post content as a whole must not approve of language or behaviour that would offend a person’s religion, colour, gender, sexuality or disability. Aggressive use of this type of language and behaviour is unacceptable unless it is clearly disapproved of.